Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Vampire Diaries: The Struggle

First off, this was the 50th book I've read this year! Huzzah! I have now completed my goal of reading 50 books each year and I still have four more months of the year. So I'm hoping I can get up to 60 books read this year. =)


"You've tried everything else, and nothing has satisfied you. You're the girl who has everything, but there's always been something just out of reach, something you need desperately and can't have."
Damon spoke this to Elena in the opening pages of The Struggle and I gasped and shouted "A-Ha!" into my empty house. I feel that this describes Elena perfectly. And there you go boys and girls, a two sentence description of the character Elena.

This, the second book of The Vampire Diaries, hopped directly into the action that was left off at the end of the first book. If all the books continue in this fashion then I would highly advise those of you intending on reading the books not to read them out of order.

The adventure was constant in this book. I feel, as a writer, it's always so much easier to just dive right into the story line after you have the first introductory book out of the way where relationships and characters are introduced. Who really wants a recap of every character at the start of every book you read in a series anyway?

The evil character Damon is much more present in this book. He truly is made to be hated and you know he really doesn't care if you dislike him anyway. Every time he would come into a scene I'd try to read through it as quickly as possible. He makes my blood boil just that much. Stefan is still there, I have a soft spot for caring sweet characters, but the injustice of the end of the book made me even more angry.

Honestly, I cannot state too much about this book. Not really unless you have yourself read the first book. I can leave my opinion as follows:
  1. I intend on going out and buying the next book tomorrow, considered even going out today, but I am waiting for an important phone call. That's the only reason I have not flown to the bookstore to grab the next book already.
  2. I'm intrigued in what happens next, even if the situation made me cry out 'not fair!'
  3. The characters are intense, every one of them, and to experience real emotion because of the actions of a character who only exists within the inked letters printed on white pages? That is something special.
  4. I urge everyone who reads the first book to be prepared- you will want the second book. You will want to read it immediately.
  5. What's great about this series is that it's already written so you don't have to wait for the next book to be written and published.
Really, go out and read it. Go read the first book first. My review on that one is the entry prior to this. And look forward to my entries (although they'll likely be brief) for the next books! Also, I applied to three bookstores in the area- fingers crossed I get a job at one of them!
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on making your goal! How exciting! Fingers are crossed for the bookstores!!

    These books sound very interesting. I'm going to have to look into these... 8)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'll definitely update if I get the bookstore job. I have my fingers crossed so many times it hurts!

    And definitely look into them. THey're quite entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the bookstore job!! I read this book so fast it's crazy. I loved it. It was so fast paced and I wanted to keep reading and reading. I'm itching to get the next one (well two-in-one). I'm definitely going out tonight to get it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...