Sunday, August 30, 2009

Personal Post

Goals.

I think it's good to have them. It gets you to strive for something and it makes you try to get it done and get it done right. I'm always making goals for myself, even more so since I graduated college.

See, I went to school from the age of 4 until I was 21. Pre-school, elementary school, middle school, high school, and college. I'm a happy owner of a spiffy Bachelor's Degree in English but I still want to learn. I still feel a horrible lack in life because I have not attended a class for school in a year. Today many of my friends are moving back into the dorms to start their school year and for the second August in a row I will not be joining them. I miss college- definitely my most favorite educational experience I've ever had in my life- and I miss feeling like I am learning.
That's why most of my goals are nerdish ones. I decided to make a list of my current goals:

  • To read 60 books by the end of the year. *1
  • To read every play written by Shakespeare *2
  • To read a list of books by February of next year that I have owned and never read.
  • To read all of the books in my house at least once.
  • To read all of Edgar Allen Poe's short stories *3
  • To participate and win NaNoWriMo this year, for the third year in a row.
*1 My original goal was to read 50 books in a year. I've already read 50 so I upped my number by ten. Currently, I have read 57 books. I only have three to go to reach my goal and then I'll probably up my number again.
*2 I have read all of Shakespeare's work except for every play.. I've already read a number of his plays due to a Shakespeare course I took in college (which was fantastic). But there is still a number left to be read.
*3 I've already read all of Poe's poetry, now all that's left are his short stories.

I'll truly feel accomplished to say "I have read everything Shakespeare/Poe ever wrote". One year, I'd love to make a goal to read 100 books in a year, or a book every week. But I'm working up to that.

So what are your goals, literary and otherwise, dear readers?

3 comments:

  1. Yay for NaNoWriMo. That's one of my goals, too: participate and win, for the second year in a row. (:

    I've also signed up for a fic auction in support of Stacie. My goal is to actually *finish* whatever they ask me to write. *crosses fingers*

    And lastly, I just want - at the very list - to hit 20 books this year. For I do not think I'll read 50, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goal is kind of a boring one. My goal is to continue to do well in college. I did very well last year, the goal is to stay consistent in that and do very well this year.
    Literary wise, my goal is to read books I wouldn't normally read, stray away from my usual genres.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All shakesphere and poe? You have some big goals!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...