Thursday, August 20, 2009

Howl's Moving Castle

My general opinion of movies that are based on books is that I will read the book first before seeing the movie. I feel like that's staying more true to everything. I don't want to be running around going, "Now it didn't happen like that!" when I read the book. Because after all, the novelist is the person who created this idea that was obviously good enough to be made into film. It's only respectful.

However, Howl's Moving Castle dodged under my radar and I watched the film before ever even knowing that a book existed. And I loved the film. This is dangerous territory. Loving the film means that I'll judge the book on my already existing opinion, surely, but I wanted to read the book. I felt so guilty for having not done it before seeing the film. Thanks to half.com I found the book for 75 cents and ordered it. After my diving into The Vampire Diaries I was finally able to resurface and pick up on Howl.



It's taken me a bit of time to actually read the entire book which I was surprised at. Usually something like this I read in a blink of an eye and then I'm done with it but this book was different. I took my time reading each chapter and only finished it today.

On goodreads I only gave the book three out of five stars and usually I tend to give four stars to books I enjoy. Let me explain why... the book I found to be a slow read at different points. I kept wanting to rush it to get to parts of the movie which I loved. See? This is my problem with seeing the film before reading the book. I know what to expect and I have favorite scenes so I rush to get to those points.

Many parts of the movie and book were exactly the same but a lot of the book was not included in the film. Same goes for a number of characters. But the book was interesting and threw in an assortment of new details, unfamiliar to the movie, that made the story more complex.

I feel that this book would be a great read if I were to have read it during the winter months. When the sun is barely in the sky and the cold snowy wind blows I could have curled up with tea and read this from cover to cover. I definitely go through different tastes between book genres depending on the season.

All in all, I enjoyed the book. I won't say I disliked it. It just was a little too slow for what I was looking for. But it is a good book and I do think it speaks volumes about how your opinion of yourself can curse or bless you. I do suggest people looking for a good magical story to take up reading this and for those looking to watch a movie rent this film. It's wonderful and enjoyable.
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

And now that I'm done with that book we'll move onto something else.
Happy Reading.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely cannot watch the English (dubbed) version of that movie. It kills me. Sorta like watching a movie before reading a book can kill the book for you, watching a movie in japanese kills the english version for me.

    English voice actors CANNOT do Japanese characters for crap :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gotta say, that's the only Japanese movie I've ever watched so I can't totally relate. Maybe if I had more Japanese based films under my belt I'd understand more!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...