Monday, July 20, 2009

To Kill A Mockingbird

This novel I read when I was in High School. I recall all the assignments we used to receive in high school and how uninterested I was in each and every one of them. To be forced to read books that are predetermined by other people was like pulling teeth for me. I want to find a book and read it because of my own interest- not because someone else thinks I should. Even if the book was a decent read I would end up despising it and dragging my way through each chapter with very little interest. A number of these books I've begun to reread on my own since I've left school and to my surprise I've enjoyed them.


To Kill a Mockingbird is not one of these books... because I enjoyed it the very first time I read it in High School. After I graduated I found a copy of the book- with the same cover as the one I read in High School- on sale so I picked it up. I read the book and loved each moment of it.

Rereading it brought me back to hazy summer days and the scent of the south that I've experienced in past travels. The prejudices against African Americans is of course incredibly prominent in the book but there are also the more subtle prejudices in the book directed towards different social classes and women.

In the that particular time period this was common and sometimes it's easy to forget what life was like 80 years ago. How are we to remember when we did not live it ourselves?

But in many ways the prejudices still exist. There are still some people who look down their noses at black people, women, or people of a lower class. Many things have changed, such as schools and the way life was generally lived, but at times that old thought process is still evident in the world in large frightening very vibrant ways.

Sometimes, Boo Radley had the right idea in mind. To hide away from the world and all of the scary things it involves.
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!