Friday, July 24, 2009

Book Purchase

I'm completely failing at my attempt to not buy books and only stick to the unread ones I already own. At the very least I saved money on the book I bought today!

My friend Samantha has been teaching English in the Czech Republic for two years and she came home (for good) a little over a week ago. She and I graduated from the same college (she was class of '06 and I of '08). I drove up to the lovely town of Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania to meet up with her and wander the town while we caught up.

I highly suggest to all of my readers that if you're ever in the Eastern end of Pennsylvania you make a stop at Jim Thorpe. It's been dubbed The Switzerland of Pennsylvania with hundred+ year old homes and three streets of little antique and vintage shops to spend hours in. The small town once was home to six multi-millionaires all at one time and also the location for the local legends- The Molly Maguires.

The towns original name was Mauch Chunk which is derived from the Lenni Lenape (natives) words for "Sleeping Bear" but later was renamed Jim Thorpe to honor the Native American Olympian who had his early school days in Carlisle (which is about 2 hours south and home to a prominent Native American school way back in the day).

ANYWAY ENOUGH ABOUT THE HISTORY LESSON. Point is that the town is beautiful, the people nice, the stores plentiful and I landed myself in the used bookstore which has only opened this past year. It's not large, just two rooms with books scattered all over, but the prices are nearly unbeatable.

All books are half the price they are listed and this particular day they had an additional 10% off. My friend Samantha, a fellow book lover, pointed out a book to me which I ended up buying.


Has anyone read this book? If so, NO SPOILERS! But did you enjoy it???

I'm quite excited to read the book. It sounds like just what I need. Of course I am already reading two other books but I have a feeling I might eat this one up before I finish them. We shall see!

1 comment:

  1. i am also failing at not buying any more books...i just can't help myself!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...