Thursday, June 11, 2009

Another book meme!

This is another book meme that I had on my personal facebook. I went through the answers and updated them since my original answers are based on a few months ago. I know I have a varied group of followers who like some books I like and others who like some books that I hate. This will probably be addressed in this meme and I urge you all to not take offense to my dislike of some books. It's my opinion and my taste of things and I allow you yours. Otherwise, enjoy the meme and pass it along!

1) What author do you own the most books by?

I mainly own the most books by these authors because they've written a series: J.K Rowling, Anne Rice, L. K. Hamilton (The further the series went, the more I disliked them.), Laura Ingalls Wilder, CS Lewis

2) What book do you own the most copies of?
It's tied between The Vampire Lestat (because one copy is nearly destroyed), The Nutcracker, The Silmarillion, and Last of the Mohicans. A lot of books my mother has copies of then I bought my own... and her books are mine so...
3) Did it bother you that both those questions ended with prepositions?
No. Maybe if I was reading over this in an editorial type of way, then I'm more specific to other peoples grammar mistakes. But I myself make enough of them so it's okay! It's just a meme.

4) What fictional character are you secretly in love with?
Jamie Fraser. Ah, I never thought I'd love a man in a kilt so much. Yum. And I have a love/hate relationship with Mr. Darcy because his stubborn annoyance reminds me of Nick. Hahaha. Robbie Turner (is not a child molester, k?) I'm sure there are more.
5) What book have you read the most times in your life (excluding picture books read to children; i.e., Goodnight Moon does not count)?
Harry Potter Book 3, Interview with the Vampire, The Little Princess, The Secret Garden, Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, Matilda, The Witches, and The Vampire Lestat.

6) What was your favorite book when you were ten years old?
I really don't remember what I was reading 13 years ago. But I know my childhood consisted of me always taking out Matilda and The Witches from the library. I also LOVED The Little Princess.
7) What is the worst book you've read in the past year?
Since 2009 started? Apart from the Crowd. Ugh it was horribly depressing.
From June 2008 til now? Breaking Dawn. Sorry Twilighters but during the course of reading that book I felt my constant expression was O_o I didn't like it.

8) What is the best book you've read in the past year?
I really REALLY enjoyed Outlander. And of course I've read a bunch of classics which are always awesome. But yes, Outlander was great. I can't wait to read the rest of the series.
9) If you could force everyone you tagged to read one book, what would it be?
Outlander. I feel that not enough people know about the book.

10) Who deserves to win the next Nobel Prize for Literature?
Like every author I love. Too long to list.

11) What book would you most like to see made into a movie?
OUTLANDER. I want to see who they pick for Jamie Fraser. Yum.
12) What book would you least like to see made into a movie?
Any Anne Rice books. Seriously. You did alright with IWTV but Queen of the Damned and Lestat the Musical were TERRIBLE. Just stop. Stop trying.

13) Describe your weirdest dream involving a writer, book, or literary character.
I had a dream once involving Mr. Darcy and Jamie Fraser. They were both in a room with me arguing.
14) What is the most lowbrow book you've read as an adult?
I personally feel it's the Twilight books, some of the books in the series much more then the others (I somewhat enjoyed Twilight itself, but my interest died a little bit with each book that followed)
15) What is the most difficult book you've ever read?
Oh god... I had to read these books in 18th century literature (and earlier) and I hated about every book I read in it. I struggled with them all. I sold the books so I don't have the titles on hand. I hated them though. I had an incredibly lack of interest for the plots and the language was something that, I feel, you had to be willing to read- not forced into.
16) What is the most obscure Shakespeare play you've seen?
I have NEVER seen a Shakespeare play performed. Pathetic right? Especially since I'm married to Shakespeare. Oh you didn't know? I'll include a picture at the bottom of this post.

17) Do you prefer the French or the Russians?
I don't have much experience with the French and the tiny experience I have with Russians has been terrible. Yuck. Damn you Russians. However, I'm willing to give them a go again.
18) Roth or Updike?
Aw Updike. I have to support him since Albright is/was his number 1 fanclub and he was all about Reading, Pennsylvania.

19) David Sedaris or Dave Eggers?
Never read either.
20) Shakespeare, Milton, or Chaucer?
Paradise Lost can go to hell. And I don't care if everyone loves Shakespeare. I do also.

21) Austen or Eliot?
Austen provides something warm and comforting for me. <3 class="Apple-style-span" style="font-weight: bold;">22) What is the biggest or most embarrassing gap in your reading?
18th century brit lit and earlier.
23) What is your favorite novel?
God I really can't say... um... probably the books I've read the most, right?

24) Play?
Midsummer Night's Dream... I know everyone loves it, whatever. I wasn't a huge fan of Romeo and Juliet, it was the first play I read that I really enjoyed. Love it.
25) Poem?
Emily Dickinson owns my soul.

26) Essay?
There was one I enjoyed from senior seminar... too bad that was like a year and a half ago.

27) Short story?
Not sure actually.
28) Work of nonfiction?
One Bullet Away... I LOVE that book and need to reread it asap.

29) Who is your favorite writer?
When I was a kid: Frances Hodgson Burnett, Laura Ingalls Wilder, & Roald Dahl. When I was a teenager Anne Rice and only Anne Rice. Now I have such a mix I won't even dive into it. 
30) Who is the most overrated writer alive today?
Honestly, I feel it's Meyer. But again, don't hate my Twilight fans. I'm trying to look at the grand scheme of things- all the current authors and the books they've produced. If there is anything you feel could change my tune about this answer- let me know! I'd be interested in (trying) to read it!

31) What is your desert island book?
Outlander or Lord of the Rings. I enjoy both and the books are forever long.
32) And... what are you reading right now?
To Kill a Mockingbird. I am nearly done with this book (half way?) and read it once in High School. I think I love it even more the second time around! And I'm seeing a lot of the symbolism that I didn't see when I read it at the ripe old age of 16.

AND HERE IS MY PHOTO OF ME AND MY HUSBAND SHAKESPEARE!

1 comment:

  1. I was pretty stoked about doing this meme, until I found questions pertaining to authors I had no idea about, and what my favorite poems, essays, and plays are.

    I don't do those....

    I think I'll fail at this meme.

    ReplyDelete