Sunday, December 7, 2008

The Time Traveler's Wife


I finished reading this book a few days ago but due to the craziness of my own personal life I'm only able to report about the book now.

The book was fabulous and I feel that is the best way to start this written opinion. I was absolutely in love with it after the first few chapters and was hooked to the very end. I say 'the first few chapters' only because it is a very strange layout to the novel and it took me some time to get used to it.

The plot centers around Clare and Henry. Henry is a time traveler and capable of going forward and backward in time. With this capability he's able to meet Clare while she's a child and therefore Clare knows Henry her whole life. The chapters will switch in years, going from 2001 to 1994 and back again. At times, there are two Henry's in the same scene. It's a very crafty way to tell a story and I cannot help but be impressed by
Audrey Niffenegger's power to create this world without it truly being confusing for the reader.

One thing that impressed me is the development of characters. I have a tendency to judge a book- not by it's cover- but by the characters within. If your book has a strong sense of character then you are more then likely to end up in my favorite book pile. With this book I felt for Clare and Henry. All of their gleeful moments and their upsetting ones would pull on my heart strings. I felt as if, in a way, I knew them. That if I could meet these people I would hug them both. The end of the book made me sad simply because I could no longer be a part of this couples life. The story had ended, there was no more.

This is not to be confused with the idea that I would want a sequel to this book. I feel the ending was perfect and satisfactory. It wasn't necessarily happy but it was not sad either.

Niffenegger took an idea, developed it, made it creative and exciting, and completed it very nicely. I would highly suggest the book to anyone else who enjoys random- but good- literature.

What excites me even more is that this book is being made into a motion picture! Now... I have to admit, I am a closet fan of books turned movies. I always give them a chance, I always try to see them- especially if the movie is based on a book that I loved. To my pleasure there are many a movie that once was a book that turn out splendid and stay with the story line. The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Atonement are all my favorites in many ways. They don't change the story line, they stick to the facts, and the only alterations are scenes that are taken out because they haven't the time to place them in. But most times, those scenes aren't necessary for plot development. That is the type of book-turned-movie I enjoy.

However there are also the millions that are utter crap. Blood and Chocolate comes straight to my mind. Horrible, TERRIBLE interpretation of the book. I didn't even know what I was watching through most of it.

I only hope (after boring you with this ramble) that The Time Traveler's Wife is made into a decent film that does not stray far from the book. When it's released I will try to go see it in theaters and I do hope I'll leave content.

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Next book up:
The Tales of Beedle the Bard

3 comments:

  1. I need to read The Time Traveler's Wife. Everyone has read it! I need to see if I would like it or not.

    Erica, I love when you comment on my blog. You are so darling :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a really good book and I highly recommend it! I can't say too much though, I don't want to ruin any surprises.

    And thank you! I love reading your blog. :) I'm glad you enjoy my comments too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm currently reading The Time Traveler's Wife and loving it!!! (I'm at the part where they are getting married!)

    I can't wait for the movie to come out in August!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...