Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Tales of Beedle the Bard


Words cannot describe how much of a nerd I am when it comes to the fandoms of Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. I was one of those people who would go see the movies the moment they opened and immediately buy the DVDs. I was one of those people who could quote the books and movies without a minutes hesitation. I love this stuff, really, I do.

Although I am more of a Lord of the Rings fan then Harry Potter I still truly adore the Harry Potter series and could be called, for all intensive purposes, a Potterhead. So it is easy to say that I was ecstatic when, early this year, they announced the mass publication of The Tales of Beedle the Bard. I appreciated that J.K. Rowling wrote the book and sold it for charity, I think that was pretty sweet of her, but I had been very disappointed that I would never have had a chance to see the book and stories myself.

So I was quite content when I had my order made and it arrived at my house last week. I was somewhat surprised by the shortness of the book, for some reason I had imagined it to be longer, I suppose that's due to the length of the Harry Potter books. But I found the layout to be adorable. It being 'translated' by Hermione and having commentary by Dumbledore I found to be a perfect addition to the book. In some ways, it made it more believable that I was reading a book from the wizarding world.

I enjoyed that there were an assortment of different fairy tales, lessons that had to be learned and parts that very well could have been a part of 'wizard' history. There is even one tale that is not necessarily sweet and endearing but bloody and frightening like old fairy tales used to be (not the Disney sort). And I always have a great amount of respect for stories / books / poetry / anything in the written world that is aimed to appease children. That is one genre I get no pleasure in writing and don't seem quite capable to write to begin with. I come to a point where I'll be sitting in front of my notebook and pen, or maybe my lit computer screen, staring blankly at the wall before me without a clue what to say next. So as always, I take my hat off to Rowling for being capable of telling fairy tales that still seemed original if not amusing.

And from an artists perspective* I appreciate that Rowling did the art work herself in this story. It's always something I felt I would want to do for my own books, if I were ever able to crank out a children's book. I was impressed and found her artwork pretty and well done.

All in all, I give this book- as I have given so many others- a thumbs up because it was entertaining for me (the whole hour it took me to read). I could go into a heavy discussion about sexual undertones all of her novels have but I'll refrain. Just go read the book!

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Next Book Up:
A Christmas Carol

*I don't tend to call myself an artist very often. I do enjoy art and I have studied different fields. I foolishly did not plan my college career out very well and was left one credit away from receiving art as a minor. In fact, before choosing to go to school for English I had wanted to go to school for Art. So the term artist is directed towards myself as saying- I do like art, I do like to draw, and I know I have some level of talent.

2 comments:

  1. I was skeptical of this book, but now that I know that you liked it, I am going to go out and buy it. Ted and I are Potterheads too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm glad I've convinced you to read it! It's really cute and adorable. I enjoy how they seem to make an impression that the wizarding world is so real! Any book that takes it's beliefs literally and brings you along is awesome in my book!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...